This is the striking figurehead of the HM frigate Unicorn moored in Dundee harbour. The ship, launched in 1824, was one of the last all wooden warships built for the Royal Navy which still survives. Because the Napoleonic wars were now over, she was never rigged out for sea and was preserved by a roof erected over her decks. She came to Dundee in 1873 and served as reserve training ship for the Tay and then as HQ for the Senior Naval Office Dundee during both world wars, and finally left the navy in 1968.
Location: Dundee, Angus.
Photographer: Colin Nicol.