The steeple is all that remains of the Tolbooth, built in 1627 to house Glasgow council and its activities including the collection of dues on all goods entering Glasgow. These were weighed on a lever-type weighing beam called a trone which gave its name to the Trongate where the Tolbooth was situated. The Tolbooth was demolished in 1921 leaving only this impressive tower, now isolated on an island in the midst of the traffic.
Location: Trongate, Glasgow
Photographer: Colin Nicol