The original jaw bones of a whale were erected here after 1853 as recognition of the role whaling played in Whitby's history. They were removed and are displayed now in the Archive and Heritage centre. A replacement set was donated by Norway in 1963 and these were themselves replaced by the current set from Alaska in 2003. They are from a Bow-head whale killed, under licence, by the Inuit for food.
Location: Whitby, Yorkshire
Photographer: Colin Nicol